December reading is like much of the past year. Full of romantic suspense and books by much trusted authors like Nora Roberts, Ilona Andrews and Molly Harper. I have also begun what will likely be my next binge author, Louise Penny whose Armand Gamache mysteries have completely charmed me.
111. Nightwork by Nora Roberts (WM/WW, thief, Cw: cancer) the first 1/3 of this book is all about Booth and his journey into larceny as a child to support his mother dying of cancer. It is super compelling and I cried so hard. Romance is 2nd chance. Cw:crimes,lies, betrayal.
112. Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts (WM/WW, violinist, Mississippi delta, serial killer, CWs: murder, depictions of racism, racist violence & slurs)
I should have quit this. I guessed the murderer early on & the rest was just a mess. Might do good for this to go out of print.
113. Hidden Riches (WM/WW, cop/antiques dealer, grumpy neighbor/sunshine landlord). A shipping mishap, an auction & obsessed collector’s minions combine for an engrossing story. Cried buckets at the end. (CWs: grief, rape attempts, guns, murder, past trauma: child abuse )
114. Sweep of the Heart by Ilona Andrews (UF, WM/WW, intergalactic spouse selection competition!) the innkeeper books are a non-stop roller coaster and this one was a fantastic ride ( CWs: grief, murder, betrayal, violence and shenanigans).
115. Witches get Stuff Done by Molly Harper (audible audio original WM/WW, witch/librarian) When Riley inherits a ghost-stuffed manor, she finds purpose, community & romance. 1st in series (CWs: grief, murder, harassment, secrets) .
116. Bleeding Heart Yard by Elly Griffiths (Harbinder Kaur #3, contemporary mystery series, lesbian Anglo-Indian DI) A death at a school reunion with ties to a long-ago death of student, untangles memories and relationships (CW: murder, betrayal, buried memories).
117. Still Life by Louise Penny (WM Québécois Detective, small town murder mystery) this has long been on the TBR but finishing the tv series spurred me to meet the real characters. Really rich storytelling (Cw: murder, homophobia, bullying, kidnapping, fatphobia).
118. A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache 2, WM, Québécois detective) the first two ep of the book are based on this and wow there is just so much that doesn’t make it in! Would you know God? Cw: emotional abuse, fatphobia, mental illness, past trauma: abandonment
119. The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny (WM Québécois detective, IGM #3) the murder takes a backseat to the machinations of those looking to force Gamache out. (CWs: fatphobia, murder,betrayal, guns).
120. A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny (IGM #4, WM, québécois Detective)
A rich estranged family gather and soon one in murdered. Vastly different than the TV adaptation.
CWs: murder, child endangerment, emotional abuse, slut-shaming, name-calling.