Thank god for authors with rich backlists and lots and lots of audiobook offerings. In march I finished the Rockton/Casey Duncan series that I have previously reviewed and then moved on to catch up on the audios of Haley Edwards Black Hat Bureau series. I read a ton of Haley Edwards last year and I love Rue, Asa and the rest of her motley crew of magical crime fighters/found family. I also sank deeper into Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series. I always love a heroine that loves the Cubs (see my love-affair with Kitty Pryde), I rode the rollercoaster that is her relationship to Ethan and her complicated relationship with Vampiredom. I didn't love every book but I loved the series as a whole, especially how Merit has to rebuild her friendship with Mallory and work to define herself and her role as Sentinel of House Cadogan and champion of Chicago.
24. A Darkness Absolute (Rockton #3, WM/AW — Chinese/Filipino heroine Mystery/thriller with Rom Elements) gripping, emotional and invested in this little town. Cw: murder, abduction, rape, torture, guns, violence, harassment.
26. Watcher in the Woods by Kelley Armstrong (AW/WM, mystery with rom elements) yay for complicated small town dynamics and lots of theories coming home to roost! Casey’s sister! Cw: murder, toxic parents, past trauma: child death, drug use, medical procedures
27. Alone in the Wild by Kelley Armstrong (AW/WW, mystery with rom elements) HUGE revelations and complications as Casey and Eric try to find the parents of foundling child. CWs: murder, homophobia, racism, medical procedures, kidnapping, brainwashing.
28. Stranger in Town by Kelley Armstrong ( AW/WM, Mystery/Thriller with Rom Elements) a massacre in the woods, big pharma & decades old plot. Finally resolution to one of the big mysteries and the start of the end game. CWs: murder, kidnapping
29. The Deepest of Secrets by Kelley Armstrong (AW/WM, mystery thriller with Rom Elements). With council decided does anything still matter? Of course it does to Casey & Eric and the Rockton crew. CWs: murder, blackmail, alcoholism, betrayals.
30. Murder at Haven’s Rock by Kelley Armstrong ( Mystery/Thriller with rom elements, AW/WW) new town, new residents and a murder! Ooh and the new neighbors will bring complications for sure! CWs: murder, guns, abduction, medical procedures, drug use.
32. Gray Witch by Hailey Edwards (UF, #5) sent on a series of troubling murders, Rue and her team set in motion moves that will lead to the final confrontation ( murder, gore, mentions of past sexual assault).
34. Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill (UF #4) I really wonder how I would have felt about some of surprise twists in this book if I hadn’t already read the 2nd series! Because wow! CWs: murder, grief, drug use, coercion, violence.
35. Drink Deep by Chloe Neill (UF, #5) I really enjoyed this book, Merit expanding her trust circle, dealing with her grief and making incredibly hard choices. CWs: grief, violence, magical addiction.
36. Biting Cold by Chloe Neill (UF, #6). The showdown over the magical book spills over and a bigger bad revealed. Questions of forgiveness atonement, restoration. CWs: violence, magical addiction, arson, possession.
37. House Rules by Chloe Neill ( UF, #7) I had to name search this book to see how long the Ethan/Merit would be dealing with mutual jealousy. CWs: serial killer, abduction, demagoguery, violence, murder, jealousy, blackmail, secrets, past trauma: coercion & abuse
39. Midnight Bites by Chloe Neill (UF, shorts stories) Howling for You: Fallon finally makes her choice. CWs: betrayal, prejudice, family pressure, legacy, sacrifice, references to miscarriage Lucky Break: Ethan/Merit vacation ruined. CWs: grief, murder, feud, infertility.